Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday Blues

When I finally finished college with one of the most useless degrees in the entire history of degrees, I became a home loan hostess for the big red wagon. I loved helping people realize their American Dream of home ownership. I also loved the thrill of the chase as I tried to help those people who sometimes were square pegs trying to fit into round holes. Then there were the long chats with the sassy underwriters and convincing them in the loveliest phone voice possible to bump my files to the top of their priority lists. However, I hated the meetings, my boss, my boss above her and all the political bullshit that goes with working for an over-sized corporate beast. At the height of the re-fi boom I resigned because I knew what we were doing was wrong. My clients were over extended and, all too often, just a payment or two away from trouble. My colleagues thought I was nuts but couldn’t wait to snag my 1-800 number and my client list. So I found several part time jobs,  I walked away and never looked back.

Devon was born a couple years later. Madness ensued and I have been pretty much doing odd jobs until he reached Kindergarten, that was last fall. Now I’m back in a cubicle eight hours a day, five days a week. And mostly I hate it. I hate office politics. I hate meetings. I hate the gray of my cubicle. I love the steady paycheck. As much as I hate insurance companies, I love the benefits. But for as beneficial as it all is, I can’t help but wonder if there is something better out there just over the horizon and beyond my reach. In this economy, not too likely, but as I sit here on a Monday morning and think of the next five days trapped in this gray lined corner it’s an enticing thought.

3 comments:

  1. I saw your post on Keri's blog about planning a WDW trip in August. I wanted to let you know they have a special going on for select dates in August. It is a Kids Play and Stay offer available for children ages 9 and under. I wanted to let you know. The offer ends on 3/27.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Angelica! I'll check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need enticing thoughts to keep us going.

    ReplyDelete